American Hiking Society is the only national organization dedicated to promoting and protecting America’s hiking trails, the natural areas that surround them, and the hiking experience. We provide an exciting, creative, and professional yet relaxed nonprofit atmosphere with a strong outdoor and conservation ethic. American Hiking Society is easily accessible by Metro (Red Line, Silver Spring) and offers generous benefits including full health coverage, discounts on outdoor gear, and generous vacation leave.
Interested in joining our dynamic team? Any jobs or internships that may be available are described below.
AMERICAN HIKING SOCIETY FULL-TIME JOB OPPORTUNITIES
There are currently no full-time job opportunities available.
AMERICAN HIKING SOCIETY INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Website Development Intern
American Hiking Society seeks a Website Development Intern to help configure and improve the organization’s website and event management databases.
You will work with the Director of Communications to enhance an event management platform for American Hiking Society’s Volunteer Vacations and National Trails Day programs. Your success will have a substantive impact on the effectiveness of AHS’ program administration and your efforts will translate into increased trail stewardship opportunities for volunteers across America.
Specific Tasks will include:
- Analyze and provide feedback for AHS’ existing website structure
- Build child theme for AHS website
- Optimize 2 new WordPress instances for both Volunteer Vacations and National Trails Day programs
- Configure and customize Events Manager plugin to program specifications
Excellent communication and problem solving skills; superior computer skills; attention to detail; and ability to self-motivate while working independently.
- College degree (or pursuing a college degree) in Web Development, Computer Science, Communications, or a related field.
- Prior experience in web development.
- Strong knowledge of PHP, CSS and HTML.
- Good understanding of WordPress and child theme customization.
- Graphic design experience is a plus
Working hours are negotiable and can be accomplished off-site. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume via email to Libby Wile, Senior Director of Volunteer Stewardship: email@example.com.
American Hiking Society thanks the National Park Service for helping to support internship opportunities at AHS that help broaden youth outreach.