American Hiking Society is the only national organization dedicated to promoting and protecting America’s hiking trails, the natural areas that surround them, and the hiking experience. We provide an exciting, creative, and professional yet relaxed nonprofit atmosphere with a strong outdoor and conservation ethic. American Hiking Society is easily accessible by Metro (Red Line, Silver Spring) and offers generous benefits including full health coverage, discounts on outdoor gear, and generous vacation leave.
Interested in joining our dynamic team? Any jobs or internships that may be available are described below.
AMERICAN HIKING SOCIETY FULL-TIME JOB OPPORTUNITIES
There are currently no full-time job opportunities available.
AMERICAN HIKING SOCIETY INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Volunteer Programs and Outreach Intern
Do you have a passion for outdoor recreation and want to make a positive impact on our nation’s trails? American Hiking Society is seeking an organized, self-starter to assist with their volunteer programs and outreach efforts this fall/winter. The ideal candidate will be a college student or recent graduate who is seeking an unpaid internship that will provide excellent non-profit experience in a friendly and dynamic work environment. This is a great opportunity for someone who is social media savvy, is inspired by the outdoors, and likes to hike!
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Creating, scheduling, and implementing social media campaigns, posts, and contests using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest;
- Assisting with the organization and selection of Volunteer Vacation locations for 2015, design and production of the 2015 printed trip schedule, and website content;
- Recruiting and marketing potential volunteers;
- Communicating with retail partners regarding our volunteer programs;
- Assisting with marketing and promoting the Alternative Break program to college student groups;
- Assisting with processing the monthly membership mailings;
- Assisting with other program-related tasks as needed including fulfillment, National Trails Day planning, and policy and advocacy research
Excellent communication skills; a positive attitude; attention to detail; willingness to help with other tasks as needed; and ability to work independently and also with a team. The intern will work out of our office in Silver Spring, MD. Desired internship term is flexible, but the ideal candidate would be available October 2014 – December 2014. Working hours are negotiable and can be arranged around your class or work schedule.
Email a cover letter and resume with the subject line “Fall Intern” to: Libby Wile at LWile@AmericanHiking.org