American Hiking Society is the only national organization dedicated to promoting and protecting America’s hiking trails, the natural areas that surround them, and the hiking experience. We provide an exciting, creative, and professional yet relaxed nonprofit atmosphere with a strong outdoor and conservation ethic. American Hiking Society is easily accessible by Metro (Red Line, Silver Spring) and offers generous benefits including full health coverage, discounts on outdoor gear, and generous vacation leave.
Interested in joining our dynamic team? Any jobs or internships that may be available are described below.
AMERICAN HIKING SOCIETY FULL-TIME JOB OPPORTUNITIES
American Hiking Society is seeking to hire a Bookkeeper/Office Manager, effective immediately. The ideal candidate is a recent finance/accounting graduate or working professional with 1-3 years of office management experience seeking a friendly and dynamic work environment at a national non-profit.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger maintenance, balance sheet reconciliations and overhead cost allocation. Reconcile bank statements on a monthly basis and prepare monthly financial reports from QuickBooks to Excel for the President, Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
- Serve as liaison with outside contractors for annual audit and 990 preparation.
- Administer annual budget development. Monitor and maintain all financial information, including the accounts payable system, payroll, bank deposits and reconciliation, funds received and receivable, and travel reimbursements.
- Administer all human resources services, including health and retirement benefits package, payroll and leave and manage the organization’s insurance plans.
- Assist with periodic membership mailings, data entry and website content updating.
- Oversee general office management and coordinate purchase of office supplies and services, monitor equipment and network for service and maintenance.
- Assist with logistics for Board and staff meetings and President’s travel.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in finance/accounting, or related field, and 1 to 3 years experience preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of fund accounting principles, practices and regulations, especially related to non-profit accounting and management.
- Demonstrated experience in QuickBooks Pro and MS Office with ability to produce reports.
- Candidate should thrive in a deadline driven environment, multi-task with efficiency and accuracy, and maintain strong organizational skills and accuracy.
Email a cover letter and resume with the subject line “Bookkeeper/Office Manager Job Search” to: Libby Wile at LWile@AmericanHiking.org
AMERICAN HIKING SOCIETY INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Volunteer Programs and Outreach Intern
Do you have a passion for outdoor recreation and want to make a positive impact on our nation’s trails? American Hiking Society is seeking an organized, self-starter to assist with their volunteer programs and outreach efforts this fall/winter. The ideal candidate will be a college student or recent graduate who is seeking an unpaid internship that will provide excellent non-profit experience in a friendly and dynamic work environment. This is a great opportunity for someone who is social media savvy, is inspired by the outdoors, and likes to hike!
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Creating, scheduling, and implementing social media campaigns, posts, and contests using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest;
- Assisting with the organization and selection of Volunteer Vacation locations for 2015, design and production of the 2015 printed trip schedule, and website content;
- Recruiting and marketing potential volunteers;
- Communicating with retail partners regarding our volunteer programs;
- Assisting with marketing and promoting the Alternative Break program to college student groups;
- Assisting with processing the monthly membership mailings;
- Assisting with other program-related tasks as needed including fulfillment, National Trails Day planning, and policy and advocacy research
Excellent communication skills; a positive attitude; attention to detail; willingness to help with other tasks as needed; and ability to work independently and also with a team. The intern will work out of our office in Silver Spring, MD. Desired internship term is flexible, but the ideal candidate would be available September 2014 – November 2014. Working hours are negotiable and can be arranged around your class or work schedule.
Email a cover letter and resume with the subject line “Fall Intern” to: Libby Wile at LWile@AmericanHiking.org